The UNLV computer labs are provided to support the academic computer needs of all currently enrolled UNLV students. Use of the labs for other purposes, commercial or otherwise, is prohibited. The rules below are intended to maintain an environment in the labs where all students can work effectively.
- Students must have their UNLV identification card with them to use any UNLV computer lab.
- An account that allows access to the UNLV computer labs can be obtained by currently enrolled UNLV students. However, this account is to be used only by the student to whom it is given. Students may not share their account with anyone else.
- Lab patrons may not duplicate or use copyrighted materials without appropriate licenses and/or permission.
- All users must respect the privacy of others, and courteous behavior is expected in the facilities.
- Lab patrons are expected to maintain the decorum of a library at all times. No user may engage in behavior that will disturb or distract other students. The use of cell phones in the facilities is restricted. Phones should be taken outside when receiving a call, and ringers should be turned to vibrate when possible.
- Changing the current hardware and software configuration is prohibited. To make specific or unusual hardware or software requests, contact the Facilities Supervisor for the lab.
- Students may not use their own paper in the facilities, and must use the paper provided by the labs. The reprographics department can accommodate special paper and printing needs.
- The use of any tobacco product in computer facilities is prohibited.
- Users may not leave their personal belongings unattended or leave their workstation unattended without logging off for any extended period (i.e., more than 20 minutes). UNLV is not responsible for any items left unattended in the facilities.
- The repeated violation of lab rules may result in lab privileges being suspended.
- Users may not engage in behavior that creates a hostile atmosphere for other students wishing to use the lab. For further explanation of this rule see below:
Procedures Regarding Offensive Behavior in Computer Facilities
- The computer facilities at UNLV are solely intended to support the academic computer needs of all students. Offensive behavior by some can create an environment that detracts from the ability of others to fully utilize the facilities. Loudness or otherwise creating a disturbance is behavior incompatible with the proper function of the facilities. People persisting in engaging in such impermissible behavior will be asked to leave.
- The computer facilities at UNLV exist to assist students in their academic work. This includes both formal assignments and informal supplemental learning and research. The use of the computer facilities for non-academic purposes is prohibited. While offensive behavior is impermissible, using material, for academic purposes, that others might find offensive is protected by both the First Amendment and the NSHE Computing Resources Policy. However, as UNLV is a university community, the spirit of civility requires that all computer facilities users show respect and consideration for the sensibilities of others.
- Students who are planning to work with material that others might find offensive -- such as vulgar language, explicit sexual material or material from hate groups -- should attempt, whenever possible, to use computers whose screens are least likely to be viewed by passersby. If a student is offended by material displayed prominently on a computer screen, he or she should inform the facilities staff who will resolve the problem based on procedures established by the Computer Facilities Office. We all share the goal of keeping the UNLV computer facilities an environment where all students feel free to work. Your cooperation is greatly appreciated.
Additional Computing Policies
- The NSHE Computing Resources Policy
- UNLV Libraries Computer Use Policy
- UNLV Student Computer Use Policy