Technology Enhanced Classrooms (TECs)
Technology Enhanced Classrooms (TECs) are equipped with technology that's permanently installed in the room. View a list of all UNLV TECs.
Faculty, are you interested in improving the classrooms on campus? We are looking for input from faculty to make improvement in the classrooms and the installed technology. Please fill out our TEC survey and give us your thoughts on how the classrooms are meeting, or not meeting your needs.
All general purpose TECs include the equipment described below. The type of equipment available inside a TEC (i.e., brand of computer, type of projector or document camera) will vary depending on the room. Some examples of equipment and a brief explanation are provided below:
- Lectern: With the exception of the multimedia projector, the lectern houses the equipment.
- Integrated classroom control: There are currently two different standards for devices used to control the equipment in a TEC. Most classrooms include an Extron Media Link Controller which has a push button interface to select power on/off, device selection, DVD/VCR controls and, in some rooms, screen control. In larger classrooms and auditoriums, you may find Crestron Touchpanels which will have the same type of buttons as the Extron Push Buttons (except you touch the panel).
- Computer (PC): TECs are equipped with a computer and Internet access. Computers within these classrooms will not require a login. Restart the computer if there is a login prompt.
- Document Camera: Similar in function to an overhead transparency projector, the document camera is used to display slides, paper, and 3-D objects objects using the multimedia projector.
- DVD/VHS Combo: Available in many of our facilities, a DVD/VCR combo deck provides playback of VCR tapes and DVD disks. International videos may not play on standard equipment provided in TECs.
- DVD Playback: All TEC computers are capable of playing a standard DVD Disk. DVDs created outside of the United States may not play on standard TEC equipment.
- Laptop Support: Most TECs include cabling to project video and audio from your laptop through the multimedia projector. Laptop support for PCs and Macintosh computers are provided thru a 15 Pin VGA Connector and Audio Connector. Macintosh computers typically require adaptors which are not provided.
- Microphones: Most TECs have built-in microphones and some of the larger auditoriums have wireless microphones available.
Click on the room location to see photos, download instructions particular to the room, and to see the technology installed in each space.
General Purpose TEC's
|General Purpose TECs|
TEC User Guides
|TEC User Guides|
A Marlok card is required to access a TEC. All instructors are required to carry and use a Marlok Card to access TECs.
To enter the room, swipe your Marlok card in the card reader to unlock the door. It is your responsibility to swipe-out (lock the door) as you leave the classroom and ensure that the door(s) are secured.
Contact your department to request a Marlok card or add TEC access to your current card.
If locked out of your room during business hours, call the Facilities department (895-HELP). If locked out after hours, call Public Safety Dispatch (895-3668). You will need to have proof of need to enter the room.
To schedule a TEC during Spring or Fall semesters, contact the administrative staff in your department if you are in an academic unit. When the administrative staff make reservations in MyUNLV be sure to:
- Only ask for a TEC room
- Ensure the building requested for your classes match the capacity of the classrooms for that building. If your administrative assistant assures this is done during the scheduling process, your are more likely to get the classroom you need.
Be aware that our computers are secured with a product called Deepfreeze, which will erase all files put on the computer between restarts. Files stored on the computer will be erased when the computer restarts. Save files to a thumb drive or to network storage.
Be sure to either lock the room when you leave or transfer the room to another professor. Leaving TEC rooms unlocked leads to theft. Please help us keep the TEC secure.
The following software is installed on all general purpose TEC computers.
Microsoft Office 2013:
Requesting Software Install
To request new or different software in a general purpose TEC, contact Classroom Support at 895-0771. After acquiring the software installation package, the request will be completed within 10 business days.
Although we strive to comply with any requests that will facilitate learning, we will not install software that includes any of the following:
- Shareware without purchases or licenses
- Demo Software
- Unlicensed software of any kind
- Software that interferes with the operation of a computer (i.e., software is incompatible with existing software or may cause network or server problems)
You have several options for getting help with TECs:
- Watch a video about your TEC
- Check out printed guides available on the web
Call for training or help over the phone:
(702) 895 - 0771
M - Th 8:00a.m. - 10:00p.m.
Friday 8:00a.m. - 5:00p.m.
- Classroom Support